11 September 2006

Anatomy of a crash.

My confidence was high. My turns were getting better and I was getting faster.

Sooner or later something had to go wrong.

Ok, nice one wardy. Going well now. Cracked this sucker. Right then, lets get up a bit of speed just for kicks.
Thats it, getting faster now. Turn right. Sweet. Turn left. Awesome. Just a touch of straight lining to get the blood pumping. Ace.

Go for the nice long right hander. . . oh . .oh thats good. Feel the edge grip. Now keep the speed up into a nice long left. Going straight now. Start the turn.

Start the turn.

Turn.

Turn?

Lean Wardy, get your weight moving. Twist the shoulders, point the hips.

Oh crap.

Going quite fast now, still not turning. Bend the knees. Weight on the front foot. Wait for the turn to happen.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Oh crap.

Right then, don't panic. You're in control you just need to try harder to tu . . ROCKS!! Big frickin rocks down the hill. I'm gonna hit the rocks. I'm gonna hit the rocks.

Lean damnit. Lean. Twist the hips. Don't panic. Everythings cool. Lean forward, lean forward . . . . stop leaning backwards . . stop leaning backwards . . .stop it. . . STOP.

Oh man, I'm soooo out of control. Don't panic, lean forwards and you'll get control back.

!! I'm going to hit the rocks. I'm going to hit the rocks. !!

Ok, battle stations . . lean, twist, panic, move weight, get on an edge, stop panicking, lean forward . . do it do it do it.

Rocks! I'm leaning back, oh man the front of the board is off the ground, I'm a sliding wreck waiting to happen . . ok, one more try to get this under control.

Lean, twist . . CRAP! I've hit the deck. . . . I'm sliding.

I'm sliding.

I'm sliding.

I'm slidi . . . Ouch! That was a bump. Still sliding

Man I'm sliding a long way. My elbow hurts.

Whoa!! ok, now I'm sliding sideways . . nope . . face first. I'm sliding down the hill face first.

Still sliding. . . . . . ok. I've stopped.

Awesome, I missed the rocks.

Balls, I'm right next to the T-bar.

Try and look cool, like nothing happened.

Nope, not working.

Ok then, grin like a lunatic and laugh out loud.

Much better!