18 October 2003

This city is slowly destroying me. This city makes me angry, it makes me swear more, it makes me walk faster and look over my shoulder more often. This city, the city in which I am stuck for the next nine months during which I have to put together achievements which will shape the course of my life. This city of perpetual worsening of the spirit, of humanity caught between anger and resentment. This city of pigeon poo. Coventy, my home.

I went to watch Kill Bill tonight, if you haven’t seen it don’t bother. If it wasn’t made by Mr Tarentino it would just be passed by as an amusing flick that a few people will love but most will just not get. Much like my love for Dog Soldiers, this film is not for everyone.
But I digress.
I went to watch Kill Bill tonight and there was a delinquent couple sat on the back row talking throughout the entire film. Well I say talking, it was a bit more one sided than that. She was reading him the subtitles! Loudly. She wasn’t leaning over and whispering them to him so the rest of the folk could get on with watching the film. Heaven forbid, she just sat there reading them out like she was proud that she just got her Key Stage 4 reading award. Then they would sit there laughing. . .at nothing. They didn’t even laugh during the funny bits, and its not like the film was crammed with intellectual jokes, we’re talking slap stick here, they just laughed to themselves. Even during repeated calls for them to be quite from the other members of the audience, they just sat there in a little world all of their own - labelled “reprobates� - and ruined what turned out to be an overrated film for everybody else.

Then on the way home, by a statue of Lady Godiva, because this city has to make up people to be proud of, there were a group of largered up lads having a nice big fight. The problem is in these situations, it’s hard to tell which are the good guys. One group is always “losing� but what if they jumped the other group and it just happened that justice was running strong this day and they got beaten up. Either way, one lad was getting his face smashed in quite nicely and we just kept our eyes averted and tried to walk past without getting dragged in. And for anyone reading this that says we should have tried to do something about it, you can come visit me and watch the football fans fighting 20 meters from my house, lets see how much good you want to do then.

As if in the space of 3 hours this city had not done enough to make me want to get home and lock it away behind my front door, a man then approached us. This man had a can of larger in one hand and a cigarette in the other. As we were walking past him he asked us for a moment of our time, usually I would have just said no and walked by, but we were in a group and as we exchanged glances he started talking. This man wanted some money off of us. He didn’t even give a reason. That is how blatant they are down here. He just asked if we could give him a pound. Not spare him a pound, or lend him a pound, he just came straight out and asked for money. In a way I have to respect the guy for not giving us some crap story, just give me some money and be done with you. I refused for the group and we started on our way again while being serenaded with obscenities from the man who was upset, smoking and most likely drunk.

And so now I’m at home, sat at my computer, listening to someone in a car across the road repeatedly lean on the horn while down the road a shop alarm cries out for recognition in a city full of deaf ears.