20 July 2004

Why pubs are not utopic.

It has come to my attention that putting ‘wardyfireball’ into google pulls up some hits from a certain Pubutopia. Thinking nothing of this for a while it was shown to me that I apparently endorse some of the pubs around Sheffield. So I went and had a look. For example, I say that The Beagle and Forty Foot are good pubs. You will find my name in the “Who Likes This Pub?” section on the left.

The problem is, not only do I not remember signing up for this service, I have also never been to these pubs. So I thought that someone had been ‘comically’ using my pseudonym and was planning some kind of elaborate stitch up. I therefore tried to log into Pubutopia by using the ‘wardyfireball’ username and my generic password. Lo and Behold, it was me. I signed up for the site sometime in 2003, late at night, probably drunk. It would seem I then went on to click on random pubs in Sheffield.


Now I don’t know why I did this. Maybe I had been at a ‘Utopic’ pub and it seemed like a great idea. But from that day in May 2003 to today, my knowledge of this event was nil.

I put about 20 pubs in my favourites, I have been to one of them.

Must be more careful around my computer in the future. You never know what I could end up registering with!