08 February 2004

Minimum bet at the Tote, one pound.

My cyclic life has been broken.
After getting into the routine of working throughout the week and seeing how high I could get my stress levels, and then drinking them away during the weekend by seeing how high I could get my blood alcohol levels, I have found a new release. . . . betting!!!

Yes, from alcohol to betting, how my life has progressed.

I went to the Dog Track last night and it was so mindblowingly fun I didn't even want to drink. Yes, there was a bar there and I just wasn't interested. That's how much fun I was having. I cannot remember being out on a Saturday night at uni and not wanting a drink. I had a pint when I got there cause we didn't really know what we were doing and so just watched the first race. Then the betting started and once I got trackside it was chicken and chips with hot chocolate all the way! It was great. It started snowing and that just made me love it even more. Stood out in the cold of night, getting snowed on, ticket in hand, the hare is on the move, the gates open, half a dozen dogs burst out and jostle for the all important first place going into the corner, my dog is leading, but on the back straight he starts losing ground, I'm screaming for Poncho Crisis to get a move on, he gets pipped at the post by a nose after leading the whole race, the ticked gets ripped in two, thrown in the air, the race guide comes out and all my attention is drawn to the next set of six.

If you have never been to the dogs, you need to go. I only put a pound bet on each time, I won a bit, but obviously lost more. Then, at the end of the day I had spent about as much as I would have in the pub, but had a lot more fun and not been legless at the end of the night.

Gambling is the new Alcohol.