20 March 2004

Flaming Drip Trays Batman!

An interesting couple of days.

I was walking around Coventry last night trying to find a bar. I knew – kinda – where it was, but only is so much as I - kinda – knew which direction to walk.
I managed to get outside the ring road and was merrily walking around . . . somewhere. . . when I realised that for 20 of the past 45 minutes I had been lost. I knew I could retrace my steps and decided on this as I had fully no idea where in Coventry I was, and was getting a bit tired of walking round.
On the way back I decided to ask for directions so I wouldn’t have to spend the rest of the night aimlessly traipsing the streets. So the next people I saw, I asked.

They were two guys, obviously locals, and for all intents and purposes looked “normal” (no obvious scars). Do you know what reply I got.

“Give me twenty quid and I’ll tell you.”

YEAH RIGHT!!!

I must admit, when they said that I did think for a split second that I was about to get mugged. I thought “Nice one Wardy, the two guys you decide to ask end up kicking you ass and nicking your mp3 player”. Well the joke would have been on them because one of my earphones is broken!!

I digress.

So I was left once again on my own, lost, and not really wanting to ask the gang of “yoot” the way for fear I would ruin their game of “Try and set the shopping trolley on fire.”

Luckily for me, one of the girls finally noticed I had tried calling and phoned be back.

“Hey Wardy, where are you?”

“I am LITERALLY, stood underneath junction 9 of the ring road.”

Suffice to say, I found the place in the end and I had missed it by only one street about 30 minutes earlier.
You live and learn.

On a lighter note I bagged me some deals in the Salvation Army shop. I got a really cool hoody for two quid, a horrendous shirt that I just know I’m gonna make look amazing somehow for one pound, and a fully fantastic “this is the kind of thing I wore when I was 6” T-shirt for fifty pence.

Gotta love the Salvo’s.

I will leave you with a little snap shot of Friday night.

Girl orders double Sambuka.
Girl spills double Sambuka on bar.
Girl thinks it will be funny to light the Sambuka regardless.
Barman doesn’t.