03 October 2004

Urban Freeriding. Council Style.



I have discovered a mecca. It was staring me in the face all the time. Every
time I drive home, I saw it, but never really appreciated what I was looking
at.



Behind my house, is an undiscovered wonderland of mountain biking track. It's
not a massive place, just one small hill. But it has all the essential
elements, mainly nice tight trails that weave and bob through woodland.

Added to the excitement are the felled trees that are often laid across the
track by the local deviants for no more reason than 'havin a laff'. The car
parts founds in strategic piles where the casual police officer would not
notice a wreck straight away. The nettles at shin level, the needle thin
branches teasing onto the path at eye level, the occasional large rock at
tyre level.



The place was surrounded by council estates, that is, until one of them was
pulled down. It is this strange mix of natural beauty and chav playground
that makes the routes so interesting. The splashes of colour under the
foliage are rarely flowers. More discarded Dyson vacuum cleaners, car brake
lights, or WKD bottles. Falling into the shrubbery is not advised.



It looks like the paths get a lot of use. There used to be a real problem
with trails bikes going up there and tearing the place up. I have to say,
hat off to them. Some of the drops are truly impressive and there are recent
signs of use. Who ever is riding up there has some serious skill.



Me, I'm going to stick to my trusty mountain bike and work up the guts to
attempt some of the crazily steep bits and jumps.





Oh yeah, I might try and stop talking about my bike as well





don't hold your breath.