23 September 2004

Today I became a father.

The weight in my stomach has finally gone. The mood swings, the emotional
instability, the reduced physical activity. They have all ended. Today I
witnessed a delivery, which will change my life.



It was about half three when the anguish ended. I had been strolling the
corridor all morning; waiting, nervous, knowing that it couldn't be much
longer. I kept on gazing out the window and imaging how the new arrival
would affect my life. How much of my time would be taken up by it, how much
of my money? Then I heard it, gentle at first but soon growing louder. A
sound that is golden to the ears. A sound that brought me straight back to
my senses, this was it, I dried my hands on my jeans.



Five study knocks on the door. I answered, slightly nervously, not quite
knowing what to expect. There was a man standing there, he looked me
straight in the eye and said, "Got a package for you.", I felt my knees grow
weak.



And then there it was, wrapped up so carefully in cardboard and tape. I
hulked it into the lounge, carefully removing the cargo. I took each piece
out and laid them on the floor, the large pieces I propped up against
chairs. I was amazed at how some looked, the shape, the colour. Soon the box
was empty, it was time to get to work.



Tools in hand I began, tentatively at first for I had not done this before,
but soon with the vigour of a man whose dreams are in sight. Time passed,
how much I do not know, mistakes were made which had to be carefully undone,
progress was steady.



Then I had finished. My new bike was complete. All the waiting, haggling,
numerous telephone calls and problems were over. It was here. It is mine.



So now I'm just waiting for the first chance I get to take it out in the
country. I've had a spin around the local park to test the gears and brakes
but I need a real ride. A big one, with technical trails and long downhills.



Oh man, my new bike rocks.