09 January 2004

I'm stuck like a fat girl on the Log Flume!

For the past week I have been doing research for my Independent Study. I was going to be writing a paper about improving the security of aid workers in the third world. It was going well, I had a fair amount of info and figured I could write it. The only problem is that it looks. . and I know this sounds a bit crazy. . a bit too easy. Well not easy exactly, , but almost like cheating. I have found a document that is basically exactly what I was going to write. Then I found loads of others. I've read them all and they are good, but now I don't know if I should still write it or not because not 100 words of the finished product would be mine. It would either be absolutely jam packed full of the same 2 references or just blatantly plagiarised.
So then I got onto a new UN Security Council Resolution (1502) which among other things basically says that killing humanitarian personnel is a war crime. Now although this sounds nice, in reality it's just full of holes in legislation and technical details. So I was thinking I could talk about the problems with the practical application of this resolution, I could say how it's a good idea in theory but that it just wont work.

So now I'm sat here listening to Chris Thomas King and trying to work out what I'm gonna do. I've been reading most of the day so I think a nice steak or two is in order and then I'll make a decision.
No pressure, only have to have the whole thing mapped out by Monday!!!!