07 May 2004

I could have helped.

I’m sat in the computer room in my school and have just been subjected to two guys sat in front of my swearing loudly, talking loudly on phones and punching the desk to pieces. Why? Because it’s dissertation time and the numb nut on the right couldn’t get his work to save onto disk.
“It says the disk is full. . . . how can it be, there’s only one thing on it!!”
So they sat there, swearing, phoning, hitting and generally being a pain in the arse. I was going to go over and offer my support, to help them through this obviously stressful time with a few ‘computer tips’ but I thought hey, if they are the type of people that come in to the computer room to blow off steam and ruin the day for everyone else who is trying to get their work done, then they can suffer.

Eventually the numb nut on the left points out that the file size might be too big for the disk. So numb nut on the right goes and buys a rewriteable CD. He then somehow manages to not be able to save the work onto this either. I wanted to laugh, but instead I wrote this.
They have left now. The room is quite. People are once again working and the numb nuts are probably scratching their heads and trying to figure out what they will do next.

During this time the whole room was also subjected to numb nuts on the left make another date with some girl he met the previous week. Judging from conversation they will have a short and unhappy relationship maybe lasting into the three week period.


The sun is out. I just sat on the grass bank outside my school and ate lunch with some friends. Soon all this will end. I never thought I would miss sitting by a road, eating lunch in the sun so much. But as I drank my milk (how retro is that) it dawned on me that it really is these little things that make being at uni so good. I mean, yeah, there’s the nights at the bar, and these are cool, but after the first year there is nothing new to do. Sometimes you just feel like you’re going through the motions. But sat in the sun with friends, just hanging out and chatting. These are the things I will miss.



That, and eating chocolate custard and wheatabix for a main meal. Topped with cruncy nut cornflakes and grapenuts. ohh yeah.