10 May 2004

Walking at night.

Sometimes you never know if the person you are talking to is very subtly taking the piss out of you, or being complementary, but in an area of your life that you would not think warranted such praise. Tonight was such a night. From the person whom I was conversing with I will guess that they were being complementary.
Sometimes it really is the little things in life that you think go unnoticed, that come back and hug you.

As I walked home tonight the city was transformed from the harsh angular environment that I have come to know, into some cloudy soft expedition.
We had big thunderstorms today. At lunch time people were sitting on the grass trying to get a tan, then three hours later we were deluged with thunder, lightning and hail. Tonight the remnant of the storm manifested itself as a thick fog that only revealed a section of the city at a time as you walked through. And for some reason – and I really don’t think I was making this up – there was a smell of burnt wood in the air. It took me back to when I was a kid walking through the woods while on camp. The smell of the fire, the eerie fog and a common environment revealed slowly to you as you advance.

Whether the smell of burning wood made me remember, or whether me remembering made me think of burnt wood I will never know. However, there is something at looking at the world in a way in which you cannot instantly take it for granted, that makes you re-evaluate the environment in which you live.

The walk home tonight was unexpected, but not unwelcome.